I really enjoy watching the Olympics. It's so exciting to watch these amazing athletes fulfill their dreams of not only participating in, but also winning in the Olympics. Every time I watch an American stand on the podium and they play our national anthem, I get just as choked up as the athlete. What an amazing experience to work for years and finally have that medal in your hand as your nation is honored in front of the world.I also love how the most unexpected things can happen at the Games: the underdog comes from no where and wins gold, the heavily-favored winner doesn't even make it to the finals, etc. As Scott Hamilton said, the Olympics are the original and ultimate reality show.
Sometimes I wonder why they still have certain competitions in the Olympics (the luge?!) but then I remember that in some countries, these are the big winter sport and they are full of tradition. Once every four years we're reintroduced to these strange yet very difficult sports.
It's amazing how these athletes can overcome such major personal trials and still compete in the toughest competitions. One downhill skier was in an accident where his leg was almost severed off and he's once again one of the top skiers in the world. They compete through the pain and it proves just how much they want to win. But more than winning a medal, it's a testament to their personal character and perseverance. It's inspirational.
It was heartbreaking to see Michelle Kwan drop out of the fight for the illusive gold medal. She has given so much to her sport and to have never won its highest goal seems unjust. But her legacy will live on despite her lack of Olympic gold.
How about Bode Miller not winning any medal in his first race?! I liken it to the USC/Texas hype this year. Bode was the ubiquitous face of the 2006 Olympics and yet he didn't even win a medal in his first race (he still has some chances to win). I appreciate all the personal interest stories that NBC features on the athletes, but I hate how they dog the athletes before and after their competition. Even in the face of a crushing defeat, they shove a microphone in the tear-streaked athlete's face. And they hype certain athletes so much that other equally gifted athletes are ignored. It's a love/hate relationship.
I absolutely beamed with pride when my fellow Texan (and Houstonian), Chad Hedrick won the first gold for us in speed skating. We Texans are having a pretty good year in sports. And how exciting was it when Shawn White won gold after his amazing performance in the halfpipe? We still have 12 days to go and I'm excited to see how the Games will unfold. Sports really are the ultimate reality show with their drama of agony and ecstasy. I hope that I will hear our national anthem several times every day, and each time I'll join my fellow American in celebrating their personal and our national victory.
No comments:
Post a Comment