Last night I watched the Grammy Awards. Ordinarily I find most award shows very boring but occasionally there are some unforgettable moments. Thank goodness for Tivo--you can skip over the boring segments and get to the interesting ones. I never miss a country music award show because I love to see all the artists perform. At the Grammys you can expect some great duets.
This year's Grammys weren't very interesting but there were a few good performances. I enjoyed the Gorillaz hologram opening act and was duly impressed by the show that Madonna's killer thighs put on (she's 47?!). The only country performances were by Sugarland (not one of my favorites but they were nominated for best new artist) and Keith Urban and Faith Hill. And of course Paul McCartney always delivers an outstanding performance.
The most interesting number had to be Kanye West's "Gold Digger" with Jamie Foxx. Dressing up as drum majors with a marching band was hardly unique but it did stand out at this show. Personally, I enjoy Kanye's music although I wholeheartedly disagree with his politics and his general message. For a guy who grew up in a middle class neighborhood and has educated parents, you'd think Kanye would encourage his fellow African Americans to seek more in life. Instead, he perpetuates the victim mentality so prevalent amongst the lower classes by constantly harping on past injustices.
When Kanye was first signed to his label, the famous rap label Rockafella, they actually worried that he wouldn't have the "street credibility" to connect with young black people. Now he is one of the best-selling artists the label has seen. Kanye is a great example of the fact that good talent will always prevail over stereotypes. Kanye is an immensely talented artist in that he can create and mix beats that are catchy while also rapping about substantive issues. I just wish that Kanye would stop perpetuating negative black stereotypes in his music and rap about how great life can be for those who are willing to work hard.
I respect artists who are genuinely talented and have a message to share, as long as that message is not negative and inflammatory. Kanye's ego and his penchant for saying both inflammatory and outrageous remarks only serve to bring the wrong kind of attention: to his politics and not his musical talent. For a man who has a second lease on life, you'd think Kanye would focus on how great life can be instead of bitterly proclaiming that the President hates black people. Unfortunately, some of the most talented entertainers in the world are incredibly uneducated when it comes to politics and religion. As Laura Ingraham so aptly says, "Shut up and sing!"
Thursday, February 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment