Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Foo-Foo Dogs and Manly Men

This week as I was driving to work I saw a man walking his dogs down the street. Now, that in itself is not unordinary, right? Well, this guy looked like he was a manly-man, you know, I could see him as a contractor or engaged in some type of manly profession. This guy was walking two little dogs with matching sweaters. This is something that has puzzled me for quite a while. What is up with these manly-men with foo-foo dogs? I see these men who look like they would rather die than watch a chick flick and yet they are crazy about their little foo-foo pets.

I've heard that perhaps some of the older men like little dogs because it reminds them of raising their children--they miss that feeling of a helpless little being dependant on them for everything. I don't know. I guess because I prefer medium or large dogs it's hard for me to understand the appeal of a foo-foo lap dog. I do like some small dogs but not the hamsters that pass for dogs.

Perhaps I'm too sensitive to the feminizing of America and when I see a man with a little fur-puff of a dog I worry that he has succumbed. Actually, I'm sure many women find it attractive that their husband/boyfriend has a tender spot for a fuzzy little friend. Personally, I find it attractive when a man has a larger dog (cuz' that's what I like). I just find it odd that otherwise manly-men have something that is considered inherently foo-foo. Maybe I’m being too judgmental about this little dog thing...

P.S. Some people have asked me about the picture on my blog profile. That is a picture of my beloved friend of 17 years, Gladys. She was the best friend a girl could have and I will miss her every day of my life.

No comments: