Friday, February 10, 2006

Cillian



Last week Amy, Kevin and I watched Cillian Murphy's movie "Red Eye." I had already seen the film last month but will never pass up the opportunity to watch Cillian in action. As I've mentioned before, Cillian's role selection has caused me to branch out a bit in my viewing choices and he is the sole reason that I first rented "Red Eye." I was pleasantly surprised by how good this thriller actually was. It is a suspense drama that takes place almost entirely on an air plane.

Now you're probably wondering how a suspense thriller can be so good when most of it takes place within the confines of an air plane's coach section. The acting is that good. Cillian, along with the fantastic Rachel McAdams, are two of the best new actors in Hollywood and their performances are so riveting that you can't take your eyes off the screen. Also, the story is fresh (what a concept!) and moves at a nice pace.

The one concern I have about Cillian's recent roles is that he will be typecast as the odd villain that no "heartthrob" would touch. When I first saw Cillian 6 years ago, he was playing a dashing young Brit hero in the BBC's adaptation of the Anthony Trollope novel "The Way We Live Now." I still remember walking into the living room, seeing those amazing blue eyes on screen and instantly knowing this actor was destined for greatness. I just hope that those who haven't seen Cillian's endearing roles will not typecast him as the villains he has played in his recent big Hollywood films.

Now, much to my astonishment, Amy did not find Cillian particularly handsome in "Red Eye." It's probably due to the fact that (1) I had built him up so much prior to her seeing him that even a Greek God would have disappointed her and (2) Cillian did not look his best in this film as he was playing a villain and I think he purposely did not look his "cutest." So I have posted the above picture as evidence that, yes, Cillian is gorgeous, regardless of the character he is playing. Just look at those Irish eyes...need I say more?

No comments: