Yesterday I made my biannual visit to the dentist. It's been said that along with public speaking, going to the dentist ranks as one of the greatest fear-inducing activities. I don't enjoy going to the dentist; it's not a comfortable experience. But I've been blessed with some good dentists so fortunately it's never a fear-inducing experience.
Whenever I have my teeth cleaned I sit there thinking about how I could never look down people's mouths all day. I often wonder about the hygienist and whether she actually enjoys her work. Obviously she chose this line of work but what made her choose this career over others? During my latest visit to the dentist my hygienist made a comment that hinted at her true feelings about her job. In the midst of polishing my teeth she commented how nice it was to clean "perfectly healthy" teeth. Thinking she was joking, I laughed. Then I realized she was serious when she said, "No, you have NO idea." I felt so bad for the girl! I can only imagine what it must be like to stare into the unhealthy mouths she sees day in and day out. After a while, it must become quite tedious. But I'm so grateful that there are people who are willing to help the squeamish keep our smiles healthy and beautiful. :-)
One of the things that kind of annoys me about visiting the dentist is the pseudo-friendship with the hygienists. They always act like they're interested in what you're doing. But you never really develop a relationship with the girls because although they can tell you what's going in their lives, you never have the chance to respond as they stick their tools into your mouth. And, I know this horrible, many times I can't remember who last cleaned my teeth because I only visit twice a year! So although the hygienist remembers me, I can't remember her very well!
So yesterday I found myself in that awkward situation of making one-sided small talk with my hygienist. As soon as she found out I'd just taken the Bar Exam, she decided to solicit some legal advice. I warned her that I can't give advice until I'm an attorney but she had to tell me her story. So, a captive audience, I sat there and listened to her sad tale of being duped into purchasing $2,400 worth of cookware at a Pampered-Chef type party. After getting the cookware home, she proceeded to burn her dinner and sought to return the merchandise. She was then told that she had signed a contract with no money-back guarantee.
I felt sorry for the girl but I was also puzzled about why she would spend so much money on cookware without some guarantee. However, it was very difficult to respond considering she had just sucked every drop of saliva out of my mouth. (Isn't it one of the grossest feelings when your mouth is bone-dry and they apply that sugary polishing paste?)
So after trying to generate enough moisture to make my tongue work, I told her that she should contact the Better Business Bureau and complain about the way she was treated by the company. It was the best I could do considering the circumstances. I have a feeling I'll probably receive an update on this fiasco at my next scheduled cleaning in September. ;-)
Thursday, March 11, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment