No, it's not some new country band. (Although, y'all who know me well wouldn't be surprised if I was a fan of such a group!) I should probably explain the origin of this term. A long time ago (or so it seems), actually August of 1999, I commenced my studies at Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy. A young, idealistic, 19-year-old, full of ambition and anticipation, I was excited to meet my fellow classmates at our orientation class in Oklahoma City. One classmate and I really bonded that week and we have since become good friends. Sally Kravik and I joked about our law school experience and the fact that we were the neophytes on campus. Sally decided to call us the "Rookie Chicks" because of our status in the law school stratum. We proudly held the title of "Rookie Chicks" and eagerly anticipated the day when we would no longer be mere law school freshmen.
During our orientation week, the upperclassmen were generous with their counsel and admonitions. Blissfully unaware of the trials that lay ahead, we dreamed of the distant goal that was the California Bar exam. In contemplating how our status would evolve, I told Sally that eventually, some day in the future, we would divest ourselves of the title "Rookie Chicks" and take on the much more glamorous title of "Bar Chicks". Now, for a conservative Christian law school, you can imagine the implications of publicly dubbing ourselves "Bar Chicks", even within the context of the Bar Exam. So throughout our time in law school we have quietly maintained this goal of some day becoming "Bar Chicks" together.
Last week, by the grace of God, we achieved that goal together. Sitting in that big examination room, knowing that my fellow "Bar Chick" Sally was just a few feet away, was an amazing experience. Four years ago we began this journey as "Rookie Chicks" and as we exited the examination room on Thursday evening, we were proud to announce that we are in fact "Bar Chicks". And if, by the grace of God, we passed the Bar, we will finally attain the seemingly illusive title of "Lawyer Chicks". Sally, thanks for walking beside me in this difficult journey that was law school. In my heart, we'll always be "Rookie Chicks". :-)
P.S. Yes, we did make corny jokes about seeing each other at the bar and meeting cute guys at the bar, but it was all in good fun. And you must understand that studying for the Bar does cause one to lose mental sanity resulting in stupid humor. :-)
Tuesday, March 02, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment