Although living in the serene beauty of North Idaho is enviable by most, there are some unexpected hazards.Take for instance my recent encounters with our neighborhood moose. Last month I was just turning onto Gotham Bay Road when what appeared to be a huge horse ran in front of my car. I slowed down and realized that it was in fact a female moose. She was just shedding her winter coat and she was a shaggy tan color. After running in front of my car (fortunately she was far enough ahead of me that I didn't worry about hitting her), she stopped by the side of the road to munch on a blossoming bush. So I decided to engage in some wildlife observation from the comfort of my car. I sat there for 10 minutes just watching this amazing creature go through her daily routine. Then I drove home to share my delightful encounter with the family.
Unfortunately, not all encounters are as blissful as the one I just recounted. Last week I was just turning onto Gotham Bay Road when, at the exact same location, another moose (or perhaps the same one) ran right in front of my car. I was thisclose to hitting it this time. And hitting a moose is not the same as hitting a grouse or rabbit, mind you (I've done both). This time the moose was dark brown and I got a much closer view of her as she grazed the front of my car. Thankfully, Ms. Bullwinkle was fast enough that she didn't crash through the windshield and kill me. Wildlife can be fun to live around but it can also be dangerous.
Friday, June 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment