Monday, June 20, 2005

Iron Volunteers

This weekend Coeur d'Alene will host the Ironman Triathlon for the third year in a row.
The first two years of this grueling race I lounged at the finish line with a cold drink in my hand, gawking at the amazing physical specimens sprinting past me on their way to a glorious finish. (Well, at least for the first hour, then the physical specimens aren't quite so amazing.)

(The CdA Ironman is actually the subject of a Gatorade commercial on TV right now. The commercial featuring Chris Legh shows him crossing the finish line on Sherman Avenue in CdA -- look for the Turneys standing in the background!)

So this year, I decided that I'd participate in the Ironman competition. Perhaps I should rephrase that last sentence: this year I will volunteer at the Ironman competition. No, I'm not quite buff enough to handle swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running 26.2 miles. (I think I'll stick to the Pilates and Yoga classes for now.)

Because I didn't volunteer early enough, all the "good" volunteer positions were already taken. (I was surprised to hear that stripping the wetsuits was the most popular volunteer activity.) But I think I'll still manage to have fun as Dad and I will be managing our very own portion of the run course. The official title for us I believe is "pointers". This means that we will stand/sit on the corner of Young Avenue and 17th Street "pointing" the runners in the right direction for 4 hours on Sunday.

Now, lest you think this does not sound like a fun time, imagine a stereo blaring the theme from Rocky ("Eye of the Tiger") as you clap and cheer on hundreds of brave souls who are on their last legs (literally), gasping for the finish line. We're talking drama that George Lucas could only dream about!

So Sunday afternoon Dad and I will be doing some of our very best pointing (we've been practicing for 2 weeks) and encouraging the weary athletes towards the finish line first aid station where they can receive the very finest IVs CdA has to offer. Yes, it's always more fun to be involved in an event than merely an observer. And did I mention the fantastic volunteer party after the race?!

No comments: