Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Prince & Me

Please, don't e-mail me about the improper grammar of this entry's title. I know that it should be "The Prince & I". However, the improper grammar comes from the title of a movie I just watched and wish to recommend (despite the awful grammar of its title).

(I'm starting to sound just like the author of Eats, Shoots & Leaves! A book I recommend to all of you who feel persecuted for your adherence to proper syntax.) Anyway, I digress...

This week I watched The Prince & Me and highly recommend it. It's a funny and sweet romantic comedy. Definitely a chick flick, but not so sappy sweet that you couldn't watch it as a date movie.

The story is about Paige, a pre-med student at the University of Wisconsin who is very focused on her future and therefore doesn't have time for the distraction of boys (maybe that's why I relate so well to the character!). On the other side of the Atlantic, the young prince of Denmark is a playboy who refuses to grow up and constantly embarrasses his parents.

You'll have to watch the movie to see how it happens, but eventually the prince decides to attend the University of Wisconsin incognito. He bumps into Paige as soon as he arrives and is baffled by the fact that she is not interested in him (it's never happened to him before) and she's repulsed by his arrogance and indifference towards school. Because this is a romantic comedy, sparks eventually fly between the two and the story takes off from there.

The best part of the movies is the message that finding the love of his life makes the prince become the man he should be, and the leader that his country needs. Paige inspires the prince to become a man and brings out the best in him. And that is the nature of true love; your partner should make you want to be the best that you can be.

I thought this was a great movie because it was clean, sweet and funny. It also features a solid soundtrack. Definitely check it out!


No comments: