For some reason I love the State of the Union Address. I look forward to it every year. I suppose it's the tradition of the whole event. I've always dreamed of working in Congress so catching a glimpse of that world intrigues me. Watching the SotU with me is a bit like watching an NFL playoff game with one team's biggest fan. I cheer and clap for policies I like, raise an eyebrow at questionable proposals, and scowl at those who oppose good proposals (usually those on the right side of the chamber firmly ensconced in their seats).
Although the SotU is mostly a tool for communicating the President's vision to the American people, it does serve a valuable purpose. It's the one time of year when all the leaders of government come together to hear the President's plans for the upcoming year. The President's success in any given year is measured largely by his success in advancing the agenda he sets forth in the SotU.
The SotU also provides the opportunity to see how Members of Congress have aged... I mean, *changed*... in the last year. I couldn't tell if the crapulent Ted Kennedy was shaking his head in disagreement or actually suffers from an uncontrollable tremor. The SotU is probably the most exercise Congress gets all year. The most disappointing part of the evening was discovering that Don Evans was the Cabinet member chosen to not attend the speech. It's bad enough you have to look at Hillary Clinton smirking throughout the speech. Glancing at Secretary Evans periodically is welcome relief for the eyes.
Four years ago I had the opportunity to visit the floor of the House of Representatives. It was exciting standing at the back of the chamber and quoting the Sargent at Arms, "Mr. Speaker, the President of the United States!" (Yes, I am a political junkie, as evidenced by that confession.) Then I got to sit in the chair the Speaker uses during the speech. Perhaps my view of Washington, DC is too reminiscent of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. But I hope that I'll always maintain that idealism despite the discouragement that working in politics inevitably produces.
Tuesday, January 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment