Monday, January 26, 2004

My Musical Guru

I freely admit that although I'm a die-hard country music fan, I enjoy a wide variety of music (see post on Rooney). And my beloved brother Chase is my guru when it comes to learning about alternative music. Before he introduced me to such bands as Hot Hot Heat, Sublime and Violent Femmes, my listening selections were constrained to country and whatever was hot on the radio at any given moment.

And who was it that came through on my birthday? Chase! He surprised me with the latest Cake album, Comfort Eagle. Exactly what I wanted!!! We had an impromptu listening party as soon as I opened the gift (much to the chagrin of Mom and delight of Aunt Stephanie). The poor CD is probably burning up I've played it so many times. It's definitely one of the best Cake albums. Next year I think I'll ask for tickets to a concert (good luck in finding one!)...

I am forever indebted to my brother for not only knowing exactly what I wanted for my birthday but expanding my knowledge of and love for all types of music.

P.S. The verdict is still out on Liam Lynch but I must confess I can't get enough of "This is My United States of Whatever!"

BTW, if you're ever in my car or going through my CD collection, please excuse some of the Rage Against the Machine songs; Chase is still trying to convert me.

No comments: