After watching the presidential debate tonight, I am still, sadly, no closer to choosing a candidate. Of all the candidates currently running, I must say that Mitt Romney is looking (and sounding) the most presidential. However, his history as governor of Massachusetts is still troubling. I'm researching his health care plan and his position on abortion. Of the "top tier" candidates, he certainly appears to be the most conservative. I was surprised by Guiliani and McCain's poor performances in the debate. Guiliani did not command the stage and he seemed almost like a wallflower. He was particularly disappointing in his failure to have a decent response to the abortion question. At this stage of the game, he should have a clear, concise sound bite answer to this question. McCain came across as distracted and fumbling for answers. He no longer possesses that energy that propelled him to the front of the pack back in 2000. Mike Huckabee was pleasant and humorous but not very impressive. Duncan Hunter once again proved that he is a two issue candidate: it's all about Iraq and immigration. None of the other candidates were interesting enough to write about. Romney alone seemed to posses that energy that helped him command the stage.Because I am a conservative with libertarian leanings, Ron Paul is still the most appealing candidate (and he's a fellow Texan!). His performance in the debate proved that he is a strict constructionist who will abide by the Constitution. I had the pleasure of meeting the congressman a few weeks ago at a CRA convention and was pleasantly surprised that while he appears "prickly" when speaking publicly, he is actually a warm, genuine and kind man. He took the time to talk with me about Texas and about why I had left to live in California (it's hard for Texans to understand this concept). I think if the congressman worked on his demeanor when speaking, he would gather more support, instead of appearing cantankerous and divisive.
In the meantime, I, along with many of my fellow conservatives, will continue to search for an acceptable candidate. For true conservatives, this election season feels like we're wandering in the desert...
No comments:
Post a Comment