
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. One needs only read some past blog entries to discover this fact. So I guess it's time for me to weigh in on the current media flap concerning Brett and the Pack.
Personally, I share Brett's frustration with the Packers. It's been 10 long years since we won the Super Bowl and every year we faithful fans watch with much anxiety and excitement in the hopes that this year will bring another title home to Green Bay.
Unfortunately, every year we have been disappointed. I must agree with some critics who have said that Brett has played some games with the Pack when, at the end of each season for the past few years, he has waited to make a decision on whether to return to the line of scrimmage. However, Brett is the heart and soul of the team. He's earned the right to make such a big decision each year. And, frankly, I'm going to be very sad when he finally does step away from the game he so obviously loves and was created to play.
I'm the first to confess that I don't know much about the inner workings of football teams so I'm not qualified to evaluate how important Randy Moss, or any other player, would be to next season's success. However, I do know that Brett Favre desperately wants one more shot at a Super Bowl ring before he retires. I don't know how the team accomplishes that other than building a great team around Brett. And if Brett is frustrated that he's not getting the team he needs, then we could be in for another disappointing season.
I know that Brett Favres is loyal to Green Bay and has stayed with the team all these years because he loves Green Bay. The fact that he would even float the idea of leaving indicates that there are some major issues with the direction of the team. I don't think Brett is about winning for himself, just to win. Although, that would be consistent with the "mercenary" environment of the modern NFL. However, the purpose of each team, and each player, is to win that coveted championship ring. If a player believes that his team is not taking the steps to accomplish that goal, there would be a great deal of frustration and resentment.
I hope that all this can be resolved in time for the season kick-off this fall. And I hope that the Pack will be able to channel their emotions into winning one more for their loyal fans. Regardless of what happens, I will proudly wear my number 4 jersey and cheer my team on to victory.
No comments:
Post a Comment