Sunday, April 01, 2007

Flying

Maroon 5 finally has some groovy new music to share. Their new single, Makes Me Wonder is another (typically) fantastic hit. My Songs About Jane CD was pretty worn out so I was excited to hear new material from one of my fave bands. When I watched the music video for Makes Me Wonder on Vh1, leader singer Adam Levine explained that they were struggling to develop a concept for the video. The video director eventually pitched the idea of a "glamorous airport." Adam explained that the director was reminiscing about the good ole days of flying and how the entire airline industry was perceived as sophisticated and glamorous. So the music video, although it has nothing to do with the lyrics, takes place in a sexy, glamorous airport.

It interesting that someone who is pretty close to my age (I think Adam is not that much older than I), would share the same memories and disillusionment with flying. I remember back when I was young (and I've been flying since I was a few weeks old), it was a big adventure to travel on an airplane. I distinctly remember always choosing some of my nicer clothing to wear when I would prepare for a airplane trip. In fact, as I recall, most people who traveled on planes wore at least dressy casual attire, if not business (even if they weren't traveling for business). Nowadays, it looks more like people are preparing for a day of lounging on the couch than traveling across the country I've actually seen young girls wearing pajamas and flip flops. Whether you believe it or not, attire does set the tone for a venue. That's why many schools have turned to uniforms for their students. Somewhere in the last 8 years or so I started noticing this awful trend of just-rolled-out-of-bed attire for traveling. I think this attitude sets the tone for the respect given to not only the crew of the airline, but the fellow passengers.

I never quite got the jokes about airline food until a few years ago. Around the same time clothing became more "casual" the food went from gourmet to school cafeteria quality. When I was young, you could select from a variety of hot lunches and dinners (lasanga, grilled chicken, steak) that were always accompanied by a nice (though small) salad, dinner roll and dessert. These days, IF you get any food on that 4-hour flight, it's usually what looks (and tastes) like a 3 day-old sandwich, a bag of potato chips and a bite-size cookie. What used to be coach fare is now reserved for First Class passengers alone. Yet another indication of the declining standards of the one glamorous airline travel.

While he was reminiscing about how great flying used to be, Adam also alluded to the now tiresome lines, nightmarish security, and overall stress of flying. It's amazing to me that just in my lifetime we've gone from a highly-esteemed and fun way to travel to the laborious, frightening, stressful experience that is airline travel. After 9/11 we all knew that flying would never be the same. I once talked to a friend who shared with me the same romantic (albeit amusing) vision of running up the gangplank and into the waiting arms of a boyfriend/husband. This romantic scenario is no longer possible now that "unticketed visitors" may no longer venture past the baggage claim (not quite as romantic a setting for a reunion).

A few years back I watched an old black and white movie starring Jane Wyman and she was an airline stewardess being pursued romantically by three different guys. The movie's story line centered on the romantic pursuit, but a major part of the film took place around the airport. It's hilarious to watch how airline travel was portrayed back in the 1940s and 50s. Everyone wore suits and dresses. The stewardess was considered a professional whose chief job was to care for the passengers and fellow crew members. Air travel was regarded as something desirable, sophisticated, and (in those days) exclusive. Thankfully, air travel has become more common place and relatively affordable.

The airport problem extends far beyond security restrictions. The once glamorous airline industry is suffering from the same "whatever" attitude that now permeates our culture. Because no one respects the feelings of others (it's all about me!), why bother dressing up or acting courteously? I think there is something to be said for dressing up for some things such as church, work, school and, yes, air travel.

Now, I must confess that I too have succumbed to the "whatever" attitude and occasionally wear my jeans when traveling. However, I still have that gut feeling (being properly raised) to dress nicer than were I merely hopping in the car to run a few errands. The demise of glamour in airline travel is merely one example of the overall devaluing of manners, courtesy and respect that is rampant in our culture. Although I think Maroon 5 focuses more on "sexy" than "glamorous" in their music video, I do find it an interesting commentary on our culture.

Check out the music video on You-Tube.

No comments: