Monday, January 23, 2006

Birthday Girls

Today is my 26th birthday (wow, I'm getting up there!). And it's amazing how many people I've met in just the last two weeks who also have birthdays this week. I keep telling them this is a good week to be born. Seriously, I've met about 5 different people having a birthday within one week of mine. One of these special Aquarians is my new friend Chloe, a special girl living with my family for about a month.

On Saturday I went with Chloe and her family to Triple Play, a fun center in Hayden Lake. I'd heard of this amusement park before but had never actually set foot inside. So I was quite surprised to find that enclosed in a seemingly benign building was a tribute to our culture's obsession with entertainment. Not only was there a bowling alley, laser tag, arcade, miniature golf, rock climbing, go-karts, etc., there was also an indoor water park. As soon as we walked in the door I was wondering why everyone was running around in swimsuits when it was 32 degrees outside. I think it's a great idea to have an indoor water park because it provides kids the opportunity to have a swim party even in the dead of winter (without getting pneumonia).

Saturday was Chloe's 11th birthday so we bowled, ate pizza, played arcade games and opened gifts in celebration. And because my birthday was two days later, we made it into a double-birthday party. Chloe and I enjoyed the skeetball (you can really rack up the tickets on that game!), riding the arcade motorcycles, playing air hockey and watching all the crazy kids swimming in the water park. People-watching can be such an amusing past time. I'm going to post some pictures of our day in my photo album so look for that.

Well, happy birthday to myself and all my fellow birthday-celebrants. I especially want to wish my good friend Natalie happy birthday as she was born two days after me (the 25th) and in a hospital just down the road from mine (in Houston). We grew up together and it was always fun to celebrate our birthdays together. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

quizwedge said...

Happy Birthday! Mine is the 25th, so add one more to the number :)

Amy K said...

What a fun idea - an indoor water park. That way people like us who have winter birthdays can have pool parties too. :)