Saturday, October 02, 2004

The Pound

Yesterday I went to the local animal shelter in search of a new companion. It's been almost two years since Gladys passed away. I can't remember not ever having a dog because I got Gladys when I was 7 and she died when I was 23. So it's been kind of strange not having a dog around, especially since I was so close to Gladys. I'm looking for another black lab mix but I also like golden retrievers. I've considered getting a smaller dog in case I move to an apartment. But the only small dogs I like are dachshunds and Parson Russell Terriers but they are high maintenance dogs. Plus, I've always liked larger dogs that can play with you outside.

Anyway, we have a new animal shelter closer to town and I've been dropping by once a week. Yesterday I found such a great dog! He's a black lab mix like Gladys but he's about 60 pounds so he's 20 pounds bigger than her and unlike her he's a boy. This new animal shelter is a bit disorganized so I wasn't surprised when they didn't have any information posted on his cage. But the volunteer told me that he was about a year old, was house trained, and was neutered. So I took him for a walk. What a sweetie! He was so gentle and quiet. Gladys was always very hyper and demanded a lot of attention but I could tell his dog was very mellow. There were some kids at the shelter volunteering and this dog just loved them! And he wasn't aggressive with the cats either (a MUST considering we now have three). So I went home to discuss this dog with Mom and Dad. Considering he's quite a bit bigger than Gladys we had to talk about adopting this dog.

Today Mom and I drove in to town to visit the dog and possibly take him home. I got a leash and decided to the take the dog out for a little walk again. As we were walking out the door, another volunteer came up to me and said, "Oh, is that Jake?" I told her that I didn't know because there wasn't any information on his cage. She looked at him carefully and said, "Yes, that's Jake and he was adopted three days ago. He's staying here until his new owners prepare a place for him." I was so disappointed! You'd think they'd have the courtesy to post on his cage that he was adopted so poor saps like me won't get attached and then crushed. But, as I said, this place is very disorganized. It makes me wonder what would have happened if I'd adopted Jake last night and his other owners came to get him and found he was gone. What a fiasco! Oh well, I guess Jake wasn't meant to be a member of the Turney family. I'm certain that when God leads me to the perfect dog, everything will fall into place and I'll know it was meant to be.

Until then, the search continues...

1 comment:

Amy K said...

aww! That makes me sad. I was starting to like Jake too (and that's a big thing for me to admit, because I'm not a big dog-person). I know it's been hard since you lost Gladys. I really do hope that you can find another canine friend SOON. -Amy