The latest report today is that terrorists are planning another 9/11 type attack sometime before Labor Day. I was astounded by one passage of the news item I read:
(That) information dovetails with other intelligence "chatter" suggesting that al Qaeda operatives are pleased with the change in government resulting from the March 11 terrorist bombings in Spain and may want to affect elections in the United States and other countries. "They saw that an attack of that nature can have economic and political consequences and have some impact on the electoral process," said one federal official with access to counterterrorism intelligence.
I was astounded not by the fact that terrorists would be so calculating in the timing of their attack -- quite the opposite. In fact, I was astonished that the main stream media would report such motivation considering the political ramifications. However, even if the American people are aware of the political motivation in timing these attacks, I sadly doubt that would cause them to remain steadfast in their support of those who actively fight against terrorism. America's voting is motivated by short-sighted political expediency. Terrorists have unfortunately discovered the Achilles' heel of modern society: personal peace and affluence are paramount and no cost is too high to pay in maintaining them. Francis Schaeffer's prescience is once again affirmed...
Wednesday, May 26, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment