One of the things I really miss about living in the South are the spectacular storms. One of my fondest memories is sitting on my neighbor's front porch watching the rain fall as lightning lit up the sky and thunder reverberated through the heavens. It's so peaceful and yet so powerful.
Yesterday we experienced a thunder and lightning storm that was fantastic--though not nearly as intense as Southern storms. Such storms are few and far between in this area so I couldn't resist the urge to savor every minute. I picked up a pillow and afghan and sat in my hammock on our back porch watching the dark clouds come across the mountains and the lake towards our house. When the rain started I moved to a bench under the covered part of the patio to watch the refreshing of Creation. It was so beautiful to actually observe the plants turning green. Isn't it amazing how they drink up all the water and literally grow before your eyes?!
One bolt of lightning was so close that I could feel the electricity in the air. The claps of thunder were so loud and intense that I could feel them vibrate through my body and the house actually shook.
It was a bit difficult doing my laundry yesterday as the electricity kept going off during the storm. But the lack of electricity is just a reminder that God and His Creation are more powerful than man. In the midst of the rain and thunder, I looked across the lawn and saw our resident turkey walking around looking for food. He didn't seem at all bothered by the pouring rain and tremendous claps of thunder and lightning. As I sit here at work I can see another storm rolling in. And now the thunder and lightning signal the start of another refreshing rain...
North Idaho is truly beautiful and I'm so blessed to live in such a breathtaking place.
Loud o'er my head though awful thunders roll, And vivid lightnings flash from pole to pole, Yet 'tis Thy voice, my God, that bids them fly, Thy arm directs those lightnings through the sky. Then let the good Thy mighty name revere, And hardened sinners Thy just vengeance fear.
~Sir Walter Scott
Friday, May 21, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment