Saturday, November 22, 2003

Young at Heart

I can't remember my 13th Birthday party. I know it was 10 years ago and I lived in California. It probably consisted of a slumber party, pizza, cake and incessant speculation over whether certain boys liked certain girls. If I looked at our family photo album I'm sure it would prompt memories of the event. In fact, Dad probably caught some of the party on video.

My 13th birthday party is on my mind because I attended a 13th Birthday slumber party on Friday. It's now become a tradition to chaperone birthday parties for a neighboring family. I enjoy the experience because it reminds me of my youth and helps me hold on to that understanding of what it was like to be 13. Not that I feel that old, but it's strange how after you reach a certain age, usually around 21, you suddenly can't relate as well to younger people. It must grow increasingly worse as it seems most parents find it difficult to understand their children's behavior. Adults still understand the trials and tribulations but they no longer find enjoyment in the activities that captivate young people.

I think there is a word for this: maturity. Yes, maturity is a very good thing. But every once in a while, I think adults need to let loose and recapture their youthful innocence. Some of the most unhappy people I've encountered are those who find children bothersome, unimportant and a nuisance. You have to wonder if they were born full-grown adults. Don't they remember what it was like to not have a care in the world and find that everyday was a new adventure? You didn't have to worry about paying bills or getting a job, life was all about learning and growing under the protection of your parents.

The teenage years are difficult for most people as we change so much during that time. But even then, we still have our youthful exuberance and zest for life. It's easy to grow jaded and cynical after you've been knocked down a few times in the adult world. That's why parenthood is such a blessing. Through the process of raising children, you are provided with the opportunity to foster a carefree environment where your own children can grow and learn. And you will learn with them. I don't have any children of my own yet so I love spending time with other kids. Chaperoning a slumber party or babysitting allows me to return to an innocent time. And it usually reminds me of the really important things in life like faith, family and friends.

Happy 13th Birthday, Erin. Don't be in a hurry to grow up just yet. Savor your youth and never allow yourself to become one of those jaded creatures who can't relate to kids. Always remain young at heart. :-)

No comments: