Thursday, November 20, 2003

A Fallen Icon

My family possesses documented proof that in my youth I was a HUGE Michael Jackson fan. Granted, it was a different time in the early 80s. I doubt that at that time Jackson had fallen into the egregious sin of robbing children of their innocence. I also doubt that at the age of 7 I would have understood the meaning of the accusations now leveled against Jackson. I know I would have cried had my attentive mother pried my Michael Jackson doll (complete with silver sequined glove and mic) from my little hands.

Thriller was an amazing album and is indisputably the crowning achievement of Jackson's career. I knew every lyric (that I could decipher) of every song on that album. And we have the music videos I produced, directed and starred in to prove it. What was once a humorous glimpse of childhood suddenly doesn't seem as innocent because of what we now know about Jackson's relationship with children. Although Jackson's music is still enjoyable, the association of a child molester with this music will forever taint its enjoyment.

It's hard to watch the demise of someone that entertained you and brought such enjoyment to your life. But that is exactly what we have witnessed in the last 10+ years. Not only has the quality of Jackson's work deteriorated, his bizarre personal life has overshadowed his formerly brilliant career. Because most Americans watched Michael grow up (I wasn't around yet), it's difficult to admit that perhaps he has become a perverted, evil person whilst we watched. From what the media have uncovered, it sounds like Jackson has engaged in this sick behavior for over a decade and was allowed to buy his way out of facing the justice system. This is a true indictment of our justice system and people who place a higher value on money than justice.

Although this is a captivating story at the moment, I dread the media circus that this case will inevitably create (and has already created). We will once again be subjected to 24/7 coverage of every disheartening and vile detail sure to surface during the course of the trial that is to come. Brace yourself for O.J. Part II...

No comments: