Monday, April 10, 2006

The Standard

After I decided not to take my car to California for the campaign, I had to try and find another means of transportation. Fortunately, Karen England, the wonderful woman who has graciously allowed me to stay in her home, offered me the use of her standard Camry. The only problem was that I had never taken the time to learn how to drive a standard. So just before I left Idaho for California I spent an afternoon learning how to drive from a friend. It was a bit scary to drive a standard for the first time. I quickly realized that driving a standard takes much more thought and attention.

I ultimately made the decision to rent an automatic for a few weeks to let me get to know the area without the stress of also learning to drive all over again. So last weekend Karen's husband, John, took me out for a driving lesson in the family Camry. My second standard lesson was a lot easier than the first because at lest this time I knew what I was getting into. We drove all the way up to Folsom and then took the highway back to Roseville. I only stalled the car twice (once while trying to reverse) so I was very proud of myself. It's still going to be challenging but I'm glad I'll know how to drive a standard. Just pray for my safety in that crazy California traffic!

No comments: