I have lived in beautiful North Idaho for almost 6 years now and in all that time I have not seen a moose until just about a month ago. Now I'm seeing them weekly! As I mentioned in a previous entry, there are several moose that hang out around Gotham Bay Road and we see them occasionally. Last week Mom saw a moose cow with her baby on our road. This morning as I was driving into town I saw the same cow and baby on the road just ahead of me. When you see a moose, especially in your familiar, mundane surroundings, at first you think it's an illusion. But then you realize that, yes, you are actually seeing this illusive creature.
The funniest moment of the week involved some more moose. As the family drove to church yesterday, we were on the I-90, heading west through Post Falls. There is a new Wal-Mart just off the freeway. We were all chatting when all of the sudden Mom yells, "MOOSE!!!". We look over at the parking lot of Wal-Mart and there are two huge moose cows walking into the parking lot! As I said, at first you can't believe your eyes. I mean, it's one thing to see moose in the forest surrounding your house, but to see moose in the middle of the city, heading towards Wal-Mart, it's unbelievable!
I wanted to call the local television stations but didn't have their phone numbers. I'm sure that Wal-Mart would have loved that publicity shot! We all started joking about how Wal-Mart was probably the worst place for wildlife to visit, considering the clientele. When we arrived at church and told some people about our experience one of our friends told us he had seen the same moose earlier in the week just a few blocks away from the Wal-Mart. I guess these two moose decided to have a vacation in civilization. Just another example of the interesting lives we live in North Idaho...
Monday, July 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How fun! Wish I could be there moose-watching w/ you! :)
Post a Comment