Monday, January 10, 2005

A New Project

Well, it's 2005 and I haven't got much going on right now so I thought I'd start sharing some of the knowledge/wisdom I acquired during 2004. I've learned so much about health, nutrition, physical rehabilitation, etc. that I sometimes joke I have a PhD in health. :-) I think it is true that only those who have experienced certain illnesses/injuries can truly sympathize with others suffering from the same malady.

During the last year, as I've shared my experience with people, several have encouraged me to write a book about everything I've learned so that I can help others (and I've learned enough to fill a few books). So perhaps my blog entries will someday be compiled into a book. Actually, even before others suggested the thought, I felt prompted to write about my experience. I've been told my spiritual gift is teaching and I want to share with others what I've learned not only about health but the trials of suffering. While I plan to focus on health and nutrition, I'll definitely share some of my thoughts on encouraging those around you who are going through hard times. I hope to make this a dialogue, too, so that we can all learn from each other. If you have any thoughts or questions, please feel free to post them here or e-mail me.

So to begin I'll start with something simple. For the past year I've had these eye floaters that drive me crazy. They actually started appearing shortly after I sustained my injury in 2003. During a casual conversation at church I mentioned this to a fellow parishioner who is also an optometrist. He told me that doctors don't know why people get floaters and there is no cure. Well, I never take "no cure" for an answer. :-)

So, now that I've taken care of some of my larger issues, I'm beginning to focus on the eye floater issue. My eye doctor, Dr. Wylie, and his associate, Dr. Collier, told me that when you are born, there are floaters left in the eye. Your eyes become used to the floaters' shadows and they don't bother you. But sometimes you can sustain an injury (like me) or become nutritionally imbalanced and this causes the jelly-like substance around your eyes to shift and then your vision is distracted by the pre-existing shadows.

Dr. Collier recommended Hyaluronic Acid (HA) to restore the eye membrane to its full form and health. I did some research and discovered that many "alternative health" doctors recommend HA for eye health and a variety of other benefits (including anti-aging and joint mobility). One testimonial I read stated that after four months of taking Injuv HA, an older man's floaters completely disappeared. I just ordered some HA from the Pacific Health Center that contains 150 mg of HA in every capsule, a good dosage compared so many of the products I've researched. There are several types of HA and if I don't see any results with this particular kind I'll switch to another. (Other types include Injuv and Synthovian 7.)

The man in the testimonial also consumed a tablespoon of Miso everyday. Miso is a concentrated, savory paste made from soybeans that is rich in minerals, including HA. I don't recommend eating Soy products because they are unfermented (perhaps I can explain this more later) but Miso is fermented so it's easy for the body to digest. There are many different ways to use Miso but it is most commonly used for Miso Soup. The Japanese consume a bowl of Miso Soup every morning for breakfast. You can use Miso in soups, dips, marinades, dressings, etc. as a healthy alternative to salt or other types of seasonings. You can purchase it at the store in the refrigerated section. It usually comes in little tubs and there is a wide variety of types of Miso. I drink my Miso straight-up and it tastes like a soup broth. Just add some organic vegetable broth, a few veggies, and you've got a wonderful soup.

So right now I'm conducting a test on whether the HA and Miso will help clear up my eye floaters. I also believe that when my eyes/brain have healed, they will be able to overpower the shadows caused by floaters. I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:

Amy K said...

Interesting! I'll have to consult you when I need a nutritionist.

Meredith said...

As an update, my nutritionist, Jeanne, just informed me that eye floaters are commonly the result of weak kidneys. I have had some trouble with weak kidneys this year so it makes sense that I would have some eye floaters.

I find it so interesting how interconnected all of our organs are. You'd never think that a problem with the kidney would manifest itself in the eyes.

I'm currently taking a supplement that assists the kidney in its filtering duties, aptly titled Nephrazyme. (Nephrons are the actual filtering units within your kidneys.)

So if you know anyone who has trouble with their kidneys, they may want to ask a nutritionist about Nephrazyme. They should also drink a lot (a gallon a day) of clean, filtered water to assist the kidneys in flushing out toxins.