Friday, July 09, 2004

New Additions

The Turney Family is pleased to announce the arrival of two new members. Last Monday (Chase's birthday) we adopted two kittens.

When I arrived at work, my co-worker Paulette told me that her friend had found two abandoned kittens on her street and couldn't keep them. Paulette knew that Francie had passed away a few months ago and we might want another cat. (Kitty did seem kind of lonely after Francie's fatal accident.) So after mentioning the kittens to me, I called home and was surprised when Dad agreed to BOTH of the kittens.

Later that afternoon, the kittens arrived at the office so that I could drive them home. They are adorable tabby cats; orange and cinnamon colored with white swirls on their sides.

My initial reaction upon seeing the smaller kitten was that she looked like Dobby, the house-elf character in the Harry Potter movies. So even though we *think* the kittens are female (we're not adept at determining the sex of cats), I decided to name the smaller cat Dobby due to her big yellow eyes and large ears. In retrospect, I should have named her after some famous bull dog because her front legs turn in like a bull dog. Perhaps Winston after PM Churchill? (Why is it that all the good names for animals are traditionally male?!)

The other, larger, cat is much more alert and curious than Dobby. She seems to be the smaller one's protector. In keeping with the Harry Potter theme, I named her Hermione, after Harry's best friend, who is also very active and curious. She definitely lives up to the reputation of her namesake. :-)

I never dreamed my family would have three cats! That number of the same species of animal in one household has always seemed excessive to me. And I am definitely a dog person. But Dad thinks that we need some more "mousers" around the shop and house. This is mostly due to the fact that Kitty refuses to kill anything other than rabbits and chipmunks. Although the kittens are very cute and playful, I can't avoid the thought that I'm desperate for another dog and somehow I keep ending up with more cats!

No comments: