Friday, July 23, 2004

10 Inches!

Yesterday I said farewell to 2 years of hard work: I had my hair cut for Locks of Love. Actually, the growing of the hair wasn't hard work, the maintenance was the hard part. Yes, I did get the haircut featured on Jennifer Aniston in the picture below. I haven't had my hair this short in a long time!

The actual cutting of the hair was rather unceremonious except for the newspaper reporter who arrived to cover the event. No, I'm not so famous that a mere haircut merits media attention. A few days ago my co-worker, Paulette, told me that she read in the paper a few months ago about a girl who had her hair cut for Locks of Love and the paper wrote up a whole article on her. So Paulette thought that the paper should cover my act of charity as well. I thought she was kidding and paid no attention. But when I arrived at the salon, there was a reporter waiting for me! (I learned my lesson: Paulette really does follow through on her ideas!)

The reporter and I chatted for about 10 minutes while I waited for my stylist to finish with her other client. When my stylist came over to greet me, she quickly stated that she could not be in the paper because she had a stalker and didn't want him to see her in the paper. (What are the odds?!) So the reporter agreed to only take pictures of her hands cutting my hair. Once I was situated in the chair, the stylist quickly pony-tailed 10 inches of my hair and off it went! Mom and the reporter were taking pictures as the scissors cut away. As soon as the hair was off my head and lying on the table, the reporter took off! I was a bit miffed that he didn't stick around to see the finished product...

Anyway, I love the new "do" but it will take some getting used to after so many years of long hair. Now I'll start growing my hair for Locks of Love again. This time it may take a bit longer to get the 10 inches...

No comments: