Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Pride and Prejudice

One of the greatest casting jobs in history was selecting Colin Firth to play Mr. Darcy in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. This weekend I watched my DVD of Pride and Prejudice with my aunt, who had not had the pleasure of watching it before. I always take great pleasure in introducing people to Jane Austen and especially my favorite adaptation of her masterpiece. In case it isn't obvious, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book and Mr. Darcy one of my favorite literary figures. How could anyone capture the essence of this inimitable Jane Austen character?

I usually watch adaptations of great books with a wary eye as they invariably fail miserably at expressing the beauty of the written page. However, when I first saw Colin Firth in this role, I was amazed by his performance. Not only did the movie do the book justice, Firth nailed the character of Mr. Darcy. Colin Firth can say more with one look than most actors could say in a thousand words. He has accomplished the impossible in bringing to life one of literature's most beloved heroes. Of course, after watching Firth in this role, he has forever ruined any potential match for me. For who can ever compare to the sublime Mr. Darcy/Colin Firth?

The story of Pride and Prejudice is my favorite study of the relationship between men and women and familial relations in general. The reason I love this book so much could be that I identify greatly with Elizabeth Bennett. More than any other literary character, I admire Lizzy's fortitude, wit and courage to say what she thinks despite her circumstances. And Austen does not cheat the readers my creating perfect yet unbelievable characters. Instead, she creates flawed characters who undergo a refining transformation before our eyes. Darcy is proud and arrogant. Elizabeth jumps to conclusions without knowing all the facts and is prejudiced against Darcy's true character based upon their first encounter. Only after the characters endure many trials, including reproval by each other, do they recognize their own flaws, rectify them, and prove their worth to each other. Their love is not a love-at-first-sight, mindless passion. Instead, theirs is a love that grew gradually from mutual admiration to an all-consuming love for each other's true character. And that is the most enduring love: love based on respect for the character of your mate. Pride and Prejudice truly is a timeless love story. But it is also an insightful examination of English culture during Jane Austen's time. Watching or reading Pride and Prejudice is treat that should be enjoyed habitually.

Instead of a "Looking for Mr. Perfect" bumper sticker, I think I need a bumper sticker that says "Looking for Mr. Darcy".

No comments: